If you are looking to transition from product manager to Group Product Manager, you can get advice from Executives in Residence in the Elevate Program. Learn more and apply at https://elevate.info.foster.uw.edu/
In this episode of the How to Succeed in Product Management Podcast, marketing professor Jeff Shulman welcomes Nkem Nwankwo (Greenhouse Software) to talk about transitioning from PM to group PM. Moving from a PM to a Group PM role involves mastering trust-building, scalability, and aligning team goals. It's a big step that demands leadership growth and effective team management, leading to success in the world of product management. In this episode, you can learn the crucial steps in managing teams and aligning visions for success in a leadership capacity.
Disclaimer: All opinions of the speakers are their own.
What to Listen For:
- 00:00 Intro
- 03:04 What is a group PM?
- 04:29 Can group PMs be IC PMs and vice versa?
- 05:40 Challenges of transitioning to group PM
- 09:46 What can help or slow you down when you want to become a group PM
- 15:55 Declining meetings
- 18:06 Where to learn about group PMs
- 20:03 Becoming a serial entrepreneur
- 21:06 What PMs are missing out on?
- 22:42 Transitioning from PM to Group PM